Determining the Right Amount of Support is Important for Each Party
Spousal support is a legal term for what is commonly known as alimony. In short, spousal support consists of payments from one spouse to another after a legal separation or divorce.
At Evans Family Law in Long Beach, we are experienced in analyzing our clients’ cases and helping them understand their possible outcomes and the process by which spousal support is determined or modified. We will help you assess your family’s unique financial situation and work with you to determine the right approach for seeking or modifying spousal support.
Temporary and Permanent Spousal Support
Spousal support determinations can be challenging, which is why we recommend speaking to a lawyer who is experienced in this area of practice. There are specific California rules for determining spousal support. Your attorney should have the contextual expertise needed to work within the system to make sure you obtain the best possible result.
It is important to understand spousal support basics such as:
- Spouses in California can pursue temporary or permanent support.
- Temporary support consists of payments made by the spouse who earns more to the spouse who earns less.
Temporary support is defined as support spanning the time between the initial filing of the divorce petition and entry of judgment.
- Once the divorce is final, temporary support ends and what is usually referred to as permanent (long-term) support may begin.
Permanent support is determined by multiple factors, including:
- Length of the marriage
- Age and health of each spouse
- Marital standard of living
- Earning capacity, assets, earned and unearned income
- The supported spouse’s ability to work outside the home without interfering with the ability to care for custodial dependents
- Ability to pay
- History of domestic violence
Spousal support issues are often quite complex. Experienced legal counsel can help you obtain a more satisfactory outcome.
My case is still currently being dealt with, but I wanted to say that Kendall Evans has been and continues to be there for me in all ways. I feel very “safe” having Kendall with me and on my side. We have had one meeting with the opposing council and my ex, and Kendall dealt with the subjects at hand skillfully and was resolute. I am very pleased with the way in which things are going.